Friday, June 8, 2012

"If it was easy everyone would do it."

Since I last posted we've gone through double torts, wills and double doses of property. Each day consists of three and a half hours of class broken up into three sections with two 10 minute breaks.

I have notes that I took on the side in order to make some blog posts but between multiple choice practice tests, practice essays, reading the outlines before class and AMP questions when it works. (BTW after I finished posting about AMP the last time it shut down mid-question.)

This process is redundant and difficult. I do not concentrate well when I'm only reading, when I'm trying to memorize so this task has been difficult. I guess that's a main reason I want to go into journalism, to interview, to dig, to write. It's not like lawyers have to memorize much but I do know that dealing with the exact same few laws every day would drive me nuts so the fact that we cover a different aspect of law every day keeps be into it, keeps me awake, keeps me alive.

I've heard that the Bar test has nothing to do with being a lawyer and that seems to be the case. However, I do get why the profession sees fit to use such a test to regulate who gets in the club. It's not because you need to memorize more than a few laws and the rules of evidence, if you're a trial lawyer, but because it's hard.

As Tom Hanks explained as Jimmy Dugan in A League of Their Own, "If it was easy then everyone would do it." The Bar is the last weeding out process, to separate the men from the boys, the women from the girls, those who care enough from those who don't, not those who are smart enough from those who aren't. If you made it this far you can make if you try, if you do the work.

Well, there's that, and there's the fact that every other lawyer had to do it so why should they change it now? Tradition. Maybe there's a better way, but why look for it?

"I had to go through that pain in the ass so why shouldn't they?"

Maybe there's a way where we could actually make sure attorneys know what they're doing before they're issued a license, released in the wild to interfere with people's lives, the most important situations their clients will ever have to deal with. Maybe we could create a law school culture where students learn to be lawyers, not just to think like lawyers.

Just think about this; Would you want a doctor who has only studied medical theory, who has only performed a few dissections, who has only taped up a few artificial wounds?

No comments:

Post a Comment