Monday, June 11, 2012

Swimming in the law

I didn't get home until about 2:30 am last night because I spent yesterday at a friend's cabin outside of Jefferson City. I really needed a day like yesterday, the water, the trees, the wind, the sky and the people. I had the chance to converse with old friends and new. I'm thankful for days like yesterday, days that refill my cup, or at least top it off.

However, hypotheticals kept popping in my head all day long. Every so often I'd ask Abby Medin, a Washington Law School grad, fellow Barbri student, friend and birthday-girl, what she thought about a fact pattern that happened to occur in general conversation. Of course it was usually necessary to tweak a story to give a legitimate fact pattern.

"Hey, Abby, would that have been considered an implied easement if the Brunner's stopped giving them permission to store the tractor?" I'd ask. "Would the neighbors have rights to enforce the easement?"

In this particular situation she referred me to her father, Ron Medin, who is actually an attorney. The answer he gave me was correct and practical, which doesn't help me at all for the Bar Exam as the Bar seems to be located in a theoretical universe akin to Marvel, D.C. or Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob Universe.

My constant hypothesizing had to be annoying but my brain wouldn't shut off so I really didn't have a choice. I guess I could have kept it to myself but I really wanted to know the answers and I seem to learn through conversation. I just feel bad for everyone who had to listen to me.

Since Bar prep started I've been gradually getting deeper into the law. At first I walked in knee deep, splashed the rest of me to get used to the cold. About a week ago the water was at my waist and I think I might have just dived in. I'm swimming in it and I think I need to get a snorkel. In another week or two I'm going to need scuba gear and come July I'll be in the market for a submarine.

Law and policy is overtaking all space in my mind but for the decent section composed entirely of barbecue sauce and potatoes. To anyone who encounters me for the next six or so weeks, beware, although I don't know how much I'm going to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment